Myanmar Day 4: Mandalay, The Mandalay Tea Shop, Foodies Tour

, 0 Comments

Locals that we've met in the market and us! :)
In my previous post, the aftermath of a really painful butt from last bike tour made me requested a change to a food tour instead of another bike tour. Apparently, I was the only one having butt pains whereas my other 2 girlfriends were perfectly fine. The tour we signed up for was Mandalay Tea Shop, Foodies Tour with Grasshopper adventures.

Nay, our tour guide and friend
We met our guides again the following day at their office with 3 rickshaw riders waiting patiently outside for us. Keeping our stomach close to empty was a good idea as we were brought to many places to try their local food. My favourite was mohinga! It reminds me of what we have in Singapore known as mee siam.

Snacks from the local market
I always believe that food brings people together. With the slower paced tour, we were able to talk a lot more. Nay, our main guide, knows his history and currently happening in his homeland. He was very willing to share what he knew and is passionate about what he does. The knowledge shared was very insightful and I really appreciate it. I am always interested about people’s lives and why they do what they do.

Best handmade fruit juice ever!

We were also brought to their local market where we get their snacks/desserts. My favourite was the fruit juice! As the small roadside stalls do not have machines, they hand chop their fruits. It took a while for them to make it but trust me, it was so worth the wait.

Give it a try!
Very quickly, the half day tour ended and we bid goodbye to our guide who is now our friend. After a short rest back in the hotel, we met up with our new Singaporeans friends for dinner at a local restaurant, super 81. With the help of the manager, who could speak english, we place our order based on what he recommended with a couple of Mandalay beers to celebrate our new form friendship! Ending with a high note in Mandalay, we were ready to return to Yangon the following morning.

Writes occasionally, enjoys quirky moments and loves to a cuppa coffee.

0 comments :